Friday, March 03, 2006

Yet Another Rural Legend

Some people think that if they fill milk jugs or other bottles with water and place them on their lawn it will keep dogs from pooping on and moles from burrowing in their lawn! I'm not kidding. Have you ever seen it?

When we lived in Arkansas we saw this. People actually thought it worked. We always laughed and thought it was such a joke. Just a hillbilly thing. Then we moved back to Ventura and we had a neighbor who did it also.

I checked out a few web sites and found out that the belief goes back to old folk lore tales that ghosts, witches' curses, and vampires cannot cross over water. So in many cultures, lining bottles of water around their houses was to keep out bad luck, ghosts, disease and other unpleasant things. I guess dogs and moles fit into the "unpleasant thing" category.

I think it might work if you put the bottles side to side, all over your whole lawn so that the animals can't find a place to "go". But, one time when our wild Weimaraner was trying to make a break for freedom, I chased her down and where did I find her? Running around in the neighbors milk bottle yard.

Comments:
My crazy aunt pours Italian dressing (I think she prefers Wishbone Dressing) around the entire circumference of my grandparents property (she lives in the same house too). She thinks that annointing the house with Italian dressing will keep Satan away.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I've seen it a few times while reading meters. I always that that it was some wierd way to water the lawn, like the jugs had a bunch of little holes in the bottom so the water would leak out. I guess I'm not demon possesed, cause I have no trouble at all walking across those lawns.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]